Lydia Laceby's Reviews > Single In The City

Single In The City by Michele Gorman

3322071
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

Rated 4.5 Star

Single in the City is like Sex in the City told through the eyes of an American Bridget Jones and it was so funny that I laughed out loud throughout this delightful chick lit novel. The first few pages had me giggling and I think my now all time favourite chick lit line was just after Hannah orders her first pint in a pub. When the bartender asks if she wants 'a half', I spit water across the room at her reaction and was hooked even further. And this wasn't the only moment I loved and laughed about. There were too many to even count.

I love reading stories about picking up and moving to a new place and Single in the City did not disappoint. Seeing London through her American eyes was always hilarious and her disasters had me snickering and cringing. Hannah's get on with it attitude was fantastic, where I would have just wanted to go running back home or hide under the covers at some of the situations she finds herself in.

Her relationships with her best friend in America, Stacy, was a constant source of amusement as were all the new friends she makes in London. And her dating disasters were priceless. I loved that she wasn't willing to settle, deciding to take on new men instead of falling into old patterns and how she picked herself up and moved on after each disappointment.

As much as I adored this novel, I did find I had hoped for a little more for Hannah, wanting her to have a few more life realizations rather than just the male factor. Although she did come to some conclusions about her love life, I might have been more satisfied if she had figured out more about her career. Maybe I'm just more accustomed to chick lit with more life lessons these days. Or maybe I'm just looking for some lessons myself. Or maybe Gorman is leaving that for the sequel! Regardless though, Single in the City is still terrific and this didn't take away too much from my overall enjoyment of this novel.

If you're looking for a laugh out loud read, pick up Single in the City today. You won't be disappointed. I can't wait for the sequel and look forward to more Michele Gorman novels in the future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Single In The City.