Opal's Reviews > Tab Bennett and the Inbetween

Tab Bennett and the Inbetween by Jes Young

Jan 09, 13

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, favorites
Read from December 13 to 16, 2012

Courtesy of The Akamai Reader.

I heard about this book from my friend Lee at She-Wolf Reads. After I read it I asked myself, “What took me so long?” I absolutely loved it. I loved everything about it. From Tab to her family to her world.

Tab is outgoing, smart, stubborn, and she’s strong. She’s been devastated by the murders of her three sisters all in the space of three months. She learns she’s really an Elvish princess. Her male cousins are either her guard or her soon to be advisors. Her grandfather is actually her chief advisor. To suddenly have all this new information about who you are and who your family truly is? Without breaking down? That takes strength.

On top of that, she’s actually enchanted to marry a man other then her fiancee, her first love! That brings about the love triangle between Robin, Tab, and Alex. Robin is the jilted childhood lover. Alex is the Elvish prince. I loved Alex. I felt like he was extremely understanding of Tab’s position and feelings, while Robin tended to sulk like a spoiled schoolboy who was suddenly deprived of his pudding. I also felt like Robin should have said more to Tab or at least hinted at something. Those are among the reasons why I had no sympathy for Robin.

I did like the love triangle in this book though. I thought it served a good purpose. If Tab had immediately fallen in Alex’s arms no questions asked, I would have had my own questions. I would have wondered if she really was her own person or just some mindless drone to go along with any plan for her life without her consent.

The magic in this book, while minimal was still effective. Because it was used so little when it came to Tab, it had the most impact. I was able to marvel at it for the wonder that it truly was. Magic wasn’t an every day tool in this book for Tab, it was a rare gift.

Once I was done with this book, I had no choice but to dive right in to the second book. I’m still not sure why I waited so long to read it. I wish I hadn’t, it was such a treat. I hope Tab Bennett and company sticks around for quite awhile!

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tab Bennett and the Inbetween.