Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

I reviewed the review copy for Book Savvy Babe Blog.

What can I say about Kiss of Steel– I loved it, it’s vampire steampunk done well!

Honoria Todd is a human woman, down on her luck. She is in charge of her two younger siblings, one of which is facing the blue blood virus. She hardly has enough money to make ends meet when she is noticed by Blade, the master of the rookeries and notorious Blue Blood. Blade is drawn to Honoria and determined to make her his, but he wants her for more than blood and finds himself going out of his way to keep her safe, especially when powerful enemies want her as well.

I am a fan of the steampunk genre, but I don’t get the opportunity to read it very often. So, when I had the opportunity to read and review Kiss of Steel, I was excited. Bec McMaster has created a very unique paranormal world filled with humans and thralls, Blue Bloods (infected/vampire-like humans), and the occasional vicious/rabid vampire on a rampage. It took awhile for me to understand the setting, but I really loved the set up, and the story in general.

I liked Honoria a lot, it was easy to relate to her and her situation, even in such a unique world. She was just trying to take care of her family to the best of her abilities, and she had a difficult time overcoming prejudices that had been taught to her. I really like Blade as well, he is a good man with a nasty reputation. However, he takes care of his own and he made a place and a life for himself outside of the rulers confines. Honoria and Blade develop a solid connection, and sparks fly between them. I love the romance in this book, it doesn’t come easy for Honoria and Blade, but it is well-deserved.

Steampunk is a historical setting, but that doesn’t mean that there is no action. There is plenty of action in this fast-paced book. The vampires and blue-bloods are deadly fighters and life in the rookeries is far from peaceful.

With excellent world-building, and intriguing setting, memorable characters, and (of course) romance, Kiss of Steel is altogether an excellent read. Readers who like paranormal books, vampires, or even steampunk, I highly recommend giving Kiss of Steel a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.