Frederick Brooke's Reviews > xoxoxo

xoxoxo by Bethany Lopez

Aug 07, 2012

Read from July 18 to August 07, 2012

I like reading YA books because I’ve got three kids in this age group. They read all sorts of books ranging from Harry Potter to Eragon to Lord of the Rings and loads of other titles. I try to read what they read, but sometimes I just read for myself, too, you know?

This is a story told through journal entries. For anyone who has ever kept a journal faithfully and told his or her own story through a journal, for a period of their life, this book will be a real eye-opener. The relationships, the ups-and-downs, Melissa’s attitude toward her new brother who has Down’s Syndrome—this is heavy stuff, but this is the stuff good stories are made of.

Heartaches are part of growing up, especially in your teenage years. Following Melissa on her own personal roller-coaster ride, balancing the needs of her family and siblings against her own emotional needs as a developing adult makes good reading. I’d certainly recommend this book for any journal writer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read xoxoxo.

message 1: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany Lopez Frederick

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review xoxoxo. I appreciate it!

Frederick Brooke Bethany, it was my pleasure, really!