Misha's Reviews > The Great Escape

The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jul 18, 12

Read in July, 2012

I am not a book critic...I am an avid book reader, and since I was 16 years old, Susan Elizabeth Phillips has been one of my favorite authors. I'm one of the few who places her release date on my calendar and run to Barnes and Nobles to purchase her hardcover because I don't care how much her books cost; I just want a great read. I say this to establish my loyalty to her, and explain to anyone reading this post, that I say this out of genuine affection and nostalgia of her other books.

I am truly disappointed with this book. It took me a week before I garnered the courage to read it in the first place because I did not like "Call Me Irresistible." My expectations were already low from Meg and Ted's story; so for me to be disappointed is really telling. I waited twelve years for Lucy to grow up and fall in love, and two years for this book, and it did NOT allow me to fall in love with adult Lucy or Panda (I didn't even have a crush...however his role was better than Ted's). I needed something more from Lucy...I kept waiting for her to open up to Panda and deal with her insecurities. Maybe that's why the love scenes weren't passionate at all because Lucy and Panda did not have an emotional connection like many of her other characters in other books.

I'm used to crying at the end of her novels...I'll never forget Patches peeling off his face paint in "Honey Moon" and laying his soul bare. Or Kevin Tucker running with Molly and jumping into the lake. Nor will I ever get the memory of Dean building a relationship with Jack Patriot at his summer house. All of those moments are what make Phillips' books so special and memorable. And I guess that's why I'm so disappointed. "The Great Escape" did not have any moments like those to get me to feel.

Will I stop reading SEP? Probably not, but I'm hoping enough of us fans will help her find her passion for writing again...I feel that it's waning. And that breaks my heart.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Escape.