Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews's Reviews > The Thirteenth Sigil

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, mystery
Read in July, 2012

4 1/2 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

This story is part of a series and I recommend they are read in order. Tuulois MacColewyn (Cole) is re-instated as a special detective for Section Thirteen when a high security storage facility is broken into. He’s happy to be working again, but finds that Section Thirteen is being monitored more closely than he thought. Joss, Cole and the rest of the gang have to discover who or what stole the canister. they find a connection while on another case involving mysterious happenings at a TV studio.

This is an excellent continuation of this fantastic urban fantasy series. Cole, Joss and the gang are back in Section Thirteen, a paranormal unit for paranormal crimes. Cole is recalled back to the unit when something breaks into a secure storage facility. Unfortunately, whatever it is has them all baffled, but they make a slight breakthrough during another case. Cole and Joss are feeling their way through their relationship, with Cole fumbling in the dark trying to get a grip of human relationships. Staffelbach (another Section Thirteen detective) becomes more involved in the paranormal than he ever thought he could. Marcel and Rainette become much closer and lend a huge hand in dealing with the thief. And Corhagen, well, Corhagen is his usually affable charming self. (Sarcasm is a dying art.)

J.L. O’Faolain has definitely given us plenty to work with in this book; danger, excitement, betrayal, love, hot sex, mysterious foes, strange fights and so much more. New foes come to light in this one, but they have a tentative connection to previous foes. Okay, so one of them has an ‘in your face’ connection and flaunts it. We discover new paranormals like the Tulpas, which come in all shapes and sizes. There is a renewal of Naryssa’s child kidnapping and the Internal Affairs and Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn are sniffing around. So these guys have their hands full all the way through the book and the ending was great… I just want the next book so I can discover what is happening to… *shakes head* (you all should know better by now).

The characters are again brilliant and Joss and Cole’s relationship seems to be going well. Corhagen puzzles me slightly in this one, I don’t know why but he seems a bit shifty at times, but at other times he is just one of the guys (well not with Cole, who he is still uncomfortable with). We see a lot more of Staffelbach and get to know him better; he fits right in Section Thirteen. and Marcel and Rainette are interesting characters who round off a great team. We find out a lot more about Cole’s youth, in this one. And at times you forget Cole isn’t human, until his bafflement at human actions comes to the fore. Do not forget the great imagery we are given that has your breath catching as our heroes plunge into danger again and again.

So, with this one, I will recommend it to those who love urban fantasy, ogres, witches, sidhe, hope for Joss and Cole, fights, betrayal, new discoveries, old enemies and a great ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Sigil.