Molly's Reviews > Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons

Kara Goucher's Running for Women by Kara Goucher

Dec 19, 12

Read from July 18 to 22, 2012

If you are already a runner, you will find some of the advice in this book fairly self-explanatory; I found myself congratulating myself for already doing some of the things she suggested and feeling guilty because I know that I SHOULD be following some of her other suggestions but am not (for example, I am not good at maintaining a steady pace throughout a race). One thing I really enjoyed about this, though, was learning that a professional runner struggles with many of the same issues that any runner does. She discusses gaining weight while injured and temporarily unable to run, along with, first, her decision to postpone motherhood until completing certain running goals and, second, her mixed feelings about how her running and fitness routine were forced to change during pregnancy (she emphasizes that you *should* continue to run during pregnancy, though you should certainly take it slow and be prepared to stop depending on the circumstances of your own individual pregnancy). I also really enjoyed her discussion of completing her first marathon and how she was actually vomiting during the race; I suppose that is an odd thing to say I enjoyed, but I threw up following my first half-marathon and was comforted to know that this is something that happens even to elite runners. Finally, I liked the "I love this quote" sections in each chapter, in which Goucher shared some of her favorite inspirpational running quotes. I think this is worth a read for both current and aspiring runners, though, as previously noted, not all of her advice will be new if you are already running and racing regularly. I will definitely be rooting for both Goucher and Shalene Flanagan in the upcoming Olympics!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kara Goucher's Running for Women.