Holly Hodson's Reviews > Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling

Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling by Michael Boccacino

Aug 09, 12

Read from July 18 to 19, 2012

(Originally posted on Amazon UK by me)

Let's see, where to being with this book...

Well for starters, I very much enjoyed it. After reading the odd few pages over a couple of days I sat and read the whole thing today.

There were several things I noticed about this book. Firstly, I had no difficulty what-so-ever picturing the characters or the settings in my head. I always love it when a book can play itself out that way without having to strain yourself remembering who this character is and why they are feeling whatever. So it was off to a good start. I was however concerned early on that the book would have a fairly obvious ending, which I'm happy to say for the most part, it didn't.

The two things I found best about this book were 'descriptions' and 'stories'.
The descriptions of the main characters are not extensive, but they provided enough information for me to get a firm grasp of the characters. Once the book progressed and 'The Ending' (place name, not book section) was introduced, I found myself pausing to imagine everything that was introduced, and while the words 'tendrils' and 'appendages' are used quite heavy-handedly for creatures it was fun to imagine what they all looked like. I particularly liked enjoyed the various collections of Mr. Whatley.

By 'stories' I don't mean plot. The plot was great don't get me wrong, but I refer to the stories told within the story. I loved the 'creation myth' fairly tale and I found it and the other stories told to be a great addition to the book, especially where many would have chosen to simply say that a story was read and leave it at that.

If I'm honest I think this probably deserves a 5 star rating based on how much I enjoyed it, however I am going to rate it a 4. The reason for this is irritating. I was concerned from the beginning that the whole thing might rapidly fall into the easy trap of being a romance novel and I applaud the author for using the characters Victorian sense of decency to avoid it. I would love to explain why the ending caused the drop in a star for me but I don't want to spoil it. HOWEVER, I want to make it absolutely clear that the only reason the book dropped a star for me is that, while I have absolutely NO idea how I would like to have seen it end, the book ends slightly differently to how I thought it would. However I would say that almost anybody else who reads this book will not have an issue with it!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling.