Mel's Reviews > Lightning Rod

Lightning Rod by Vaughn R. Demont

Jul 18, 2012

bookshelves: to-read, e-book, m-m, to-get-asap

This one is not about Spence (aaaah) but a new protagonist (oooh) and both will be starring in the next book (yaaaaaaaaay).

More info here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lightning Rod.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't see the blurb and realize this is about James until I saw this comment. Darn, I was really hoping to read more on Spencer and Rourke... D:

message 2: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Don't worry Amy. I contacted the author. Spence will be in this one, albeit in the background. But book #3 will feature them both as main characters! :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Phew, really? thats good news! xD i was worried spencers story would be left totally unfinished! Definitely cant wait to read this sequel to come out now. It'll be interesting to see James' story and see Spencer through his eyes.

message 4: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Yeah, I looked through Coyote's Creed again and I guess this is the guy at the bus station near the end that Spencer helps. Had a feeling he was going to be a canon character. Called it! :)

message 5: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn Demont Yep, I can confirm that Spence *IS* in Lightning Rod, but he's not the protagonist. Community Service, which comes out in May, will feature both Spence and James as protagonists, and they'll both be sharing the story for the rest of the series. Hope that clears things up! :)

message 6: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Thanks Vaughn, I update my info.

Thanks Tim. Sorry for the delay but I'm not getting my notifications on time... I'll look that bit up. And you called it indeed :)

Aimee, I totally agree :)

message 7: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Really looking forward to this one, nice to see gay urban fantasy getting more titles. Thought the book's "warning" was interesting too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

@Tim Yeah, I don't know too many other urban fantasies like this. Can you recommend any that you like? :o

message 9: by Tim (last edited Oct 02, 2012 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim @Aimee If you're talking about gay urban fantasy there's... uh... Well, I can't think of any for gay men, I know there are a few lesbian UF. I think Tatterdemalion could be considered gay UF, though it's more M/M than Demont's stuff, still a good book though. It's not gay UF, more gay traditional fantasy but The Steel Remains was rather well received. I couldn't get into it personally because the book makes too big a deal out of the protagonist being gay, plus too many POV switches for my tastes.

I know it shouldn't make a big difference, but I really can't think of any other gay male authors out there who write gay UF, there should be more than one, right? I know at least from his blog that Demont tries to distance himself from M/M. (Cite: http://vaughnrdemont.wordpress.com/20...)

Anyway, getting away from that minefield, for UF that's similar to Demont's stuff that isn't Gay UF, I'd go with the influences he listed, Richelle Mead and Jim Butcher, I'd more put him in those camps than the Gaimanesque, as his protagonists are funnier than a Gaiman lead.

Sorry to be long winded, but hope it helps.

Edit: Oh, if you're asking what *I* like, I'm a hardcore Dresden Files fan. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, thank you, thank you, for the recommendations! ^_^ Added both books on my to-read list and can't wait to read them! Haven't read fantasy in a long while with the exception of this book and I miss it. I've heard of the Dresden Files but I'm a bit intimidated by how many books the series has out already. x)

message 11: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel For another good m/m UF series, try the Infected series by Andrea Speed.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

@Mel Ooh that's another series that's been on my to-read list for a long time. I just can't make myself start it knowing what happens to one of the characters in the second book. >.< I know I'd get so torn up!

message 13: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel You will. I haven't read the third and fourth one yet, but I hear they're still very good.