Mariam's Reviews > Lonesome Traveler

Jul 21, 12

liked it
bookshelves: summer-reads
Read from July 18 to 21, 2012

The thing about this book is that it is a compilation of 8 different pieces, so it's very hard to give it a rating that will accurately judge it on a general scale. I will say this, however, there are about 4 selections of this book that I found to be quite immaculate; I would give them, in their own right, 5 stars and here is why. Kerouac is Kerouac, if you'e going to judge his prose or stylistic aspects, you're going to have to judge him on his own plane and not in comparison to other writers because he writes quite like no other. Upon completing this book, I realized that I'd been reading a primitive, unique and essentially intimate account of a man, his travels and his perceptions of travel. The implications that this has is that some parts will come across as slightly un-relatable and obscure, but other parts are absolutely universal, poetic and picturesque. I know two things for sure, after reading this: this is one of those books that leaves you feeling slightly inferior because of how rich and deep it gets, and Kerouac is definitely on my "favorite authors" list from now on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonesome Traveler.