Krissy P (Kris)'s Reviews > Tris & Izzie

Tris & Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Mediocre YA Paranormal Filled with Unlikable Characters, (This is from my original review on Amazon)

Tris and Izzie is a loose interpretation of the Tristan and Isolde tale that is mediocre at best with unlikeable-angst filled teenagers and is set as a 21st Century High School drama that unfortunately falls flat.

WARNING-REVIEW CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS:

The main character, Izzie, who narrates the story, is so unlikeable, annoying and self-absorbed. She is the daughter of a witch and is herself a witch with a capital "B." She treats her boyfriend, Mark, like crap and he falls all over her like an attention starved puppy. He is an absolute tool and you will see what I mean when you read this. He changes his feelings of undying love from one girl to the next in a matter of hours. Next, we have Branna. She is so angry, nasty and quite possibly the worst friend you will ever want. She literally acts like she has a permanent burning ember sticking out of her rear-end. I don't know if she has multiple personality psychological problems or if it's just her natural horrible every day personality. Boy does she ever set up her "so called best friend." I have not seen best friends like each other this much since the movie "Heathers." Izzie keeps badgering Branna into telling her who she is secretly in love with. It's obvious to the reader who it is, although not to the dimwitted Izzie, so she decides to take matters into her own hands. Lastly, there's Tristan and to be honest, he's not that bad. Why this guy wants Izzie, I'll never understand. Yes, there was the so called love philtre that was meant for Branna they both consumed, Izzie by accident or shear stupidity since she knew what she was drinking to begin with, but she is so horrible to him, yet attracted to him (oh please) at the same time and he just eats her shit with a smile. Finally, she realizes her true feelings for him.

THE WORST PART (MAJOR SPOILER-STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW:

Mark, who less than a few hours ago was madly, deeply in love with Izzie, punches her in the face because Branna is gravely injured, not Izzie's fault at all by the way, but Mark is too angry to be rational. Izzie is not even angry about this and as Mark tries to deck her again, Tristan jumps in to stop him and she in turn jumps on the guy trying to protect her, screaming at him not to hurt Mark - really Izzie??? Are you effin serious???

In closing, the story reads like bad fan fiction. It was not well executed and the characters were awful. Unfortunately, I just wished one of the magical creatures trying to track down Izzie would have just decimated the entire town and put me out of my misery. Sadly, this was a few hours of my life wasted that I will never get back. Really the only nice thing I can say about this book is the cover is beautiful. But as the saying goes, "never judge a book by its cover."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tris & Izzie.