Paula Sealey's Reviews > Black Heart Blue

Black Heart Blue by Louisa  Reid

Jul 18, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, favorites
Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

Black Heart Blue is a powerful and harrowing tale of two sisters who have grown up sheltered from the world, subjected to religious extremism and abuse.

Told in before and after chapters by the two girls, we learn of the circumstances leading up to the death of Hephzi (before) and Rebecca's struggles to escape from her life (after).

A poignant and gripping tale, one that left me with a golf ball sized lump in my throat at times, and tears threatening to spring out at others. Do we ever know what goes on behind closed doors?

The fact the author chose to make the two girls complex characters, that you don't necessarily like instantly, especially Hephzi, who more or less abandons Rebecca when she gets a taste of freedom, was refreshing. Aside from the bleakness of the overall theme, there is a strong sense of courage and hope too, so don't be put off by the subject matter.

Absolutely 5 stars to Louisa Reid on this skillfuly written debut novel. It will most certainly stay with me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart Blue.

Quotes Paula Liked

“There was no point dreaming; the leaflet was nothing more than a glass slipper handed to the ugly sister. I would never fit in there even if they'd let me go, which was a fairy tale in itself.”
Louisa Reid, Black Heart Blue

07/17/2012
90.0% "Although I didn't want to, I just had to stop reading this last night or I knew I'd never be able to sleep! Such a heart wrenching story."

Katie Sheldrake I felt the same when I read this! YOu really don't like either character straight away, but I think they are so perfectly written.

Paula Sealey Definitely, I'd have been put off if the characters were all 'hearts and flowers'. Hephzi and Rebecca had real flaws that all us humans have, despite what might have happened to us.