Elaine Cooper's Reviews > Johnny Tremain

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Jul 17, 12

Read in July, 2012

When I was very small, I watched the Disney movie version of Johnny Tremain and the single memory that stands out in my mind is the tune from the song, “The Sons of Liberty.” Now that I am an adult and study the American Revolution for my own historical fiction books, I decided it was time to read the original book called Johnny Tremain written in 1943 by Esther Forbes. I’m so glad that I did.
Although it is considered a novel for young adults, this older adult reader was highly caught up in the story about the young, pompous, and very talented silversmith who had his whole future changed in an instant when a work accident burned his hand. His entire life’s work came to a screeching halt. His transformation from braggadocio boy to patriotic spy was a realistic journey that taught me much about life in Boston just before the American Revolution.
Forbes’ characters are enchanting even when they are annoying, and this reader grew to appreciate all the hard-earned lessons in life that transformed Johnny into a mature, likeable fellow. Highly recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Johnny Tremain.