Kimberly's Reviews > The Curse

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, review, read-2012
Read from September 09 to 18, 2012

Blue Ribbon Rating: 4 out of 5
Original Review Link

With the fate of her race resting on her shoulders, the last thing Belador warrior Evalle Kincaid needs to deal with is the troll gang violence that will distract her from her mission to provide protection for all Alterants. But the demonic Svart Trolls invading Atlanta are only the beginning of Evalle’s problems. The Beladors’ enemies are more determined than ever to take out all those Evalle holds dear. And they want to use Evalle to do it. The clock’s ticking and with evil always a step ahead, Evalle might have to sacrifice everything — even her freedom — to save the Beladors.

The world of the Beladors gets a lot more complex in THE CURSE. Authors Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love take readers on a fantastic journey filled with twists, turns and non-stop action.

At the heart of THE CURSE is Evalle, the tough-as-nails heroine I absolutely adore. Mses. Kenyon and Love couldn’t have created a better heroine to center the series around for Evalle is undeniably strong, but also deeply wounded and incredibly caring. The softer side of her comes out more in THE CURSE than it has in the previous BELADOR books, as a shadow is cast over her relationships with those she loves most in the world.

It’s difficult, if not impossible, to talk about THE CURSE without spoiling some of the excitement of a reader’s journey. Mses. Kenyon and Love reveal more of the history of the Beladors, Alterants, Medb and individual characters. There’s so much going on in THE CURSE that almost every page reveals new information. Because of this, I highly recommend reading the first two BELADOR books, BLOOD TRINITY and ALTERANT, before reading THE CURSE.

THE CURSE is an engaging story, but it’s definitely what I would label a “bridge book.” A lot of necessary information is conveyed and the setup for bigger battles occurs, but there isn’t much in the way of resolution. In all honesty, this didn’t bother me. It did, however, leave me very eager to read the next BELADOR book. I cannot wait to see what Mses. Kenyon and Love have in store for Evalle and her friends!

Note: My review was written for Romance Junkies and is cross-posted here courtesy of Romance Junkies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse.

09/09/2012 page 18