Elizabeth's Reviews > Living with the Dead

Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong

Nov 30, 08

bookshelves: paranormal, recently-read
Read in November, 2008

I liked this latest installment from Kelley Armstrong, although it's not one of my favorites.

It follows the story of Robyn, who is surprisingly quite normal. She is, however, best friends with Hope Adams, the protagonist from Personal Demon. Robyn is the publicist to a Hilton-esque celebutante, and when the Paris wannabe is killed, Robyn finds herself the main suspect in a murder case that quickly becomes tangled with clairvoyants, necromancers, sorcerers, demons, and werewolves. Of course, the demon in question is Hope, and one werewolf is Hope's boyfriend, Karl Marsten.

The main issue I had with the book is that there are so many different POVs that I had to check the front of the book, to be certain it was indeed written by Armstrong, and not George R.R. Martin. In fact, every main and secondary character gets a POV chapter except Karl, which is too bad as he's the one I would've most liked to have heard from. I did like the introduction of John Findlay, or Finn, a cop who also happens to be a necromancer, albeit one who's entirely ignorant of the larger supernatural world until nearly the end of the book. I have a feeling that if Armstrong gets to write the Men of the Otherworld into the series (I am aware there is an anthology coming out) like she wants to, we have our next POV character.

This book could be read as a stand-alone, but it really helps if you're familiar with the series, and the following: the interracial council, vampires, Hope Adams, Karl Marsten, the Nast cabal, Savannah, Eve, Lucas Cortez, Paige Winterbourne, Kristof Nast, Sean Nast, Jaime Vegas, Clay and Elena, Jeremy. All of them turn up, either in person or by reference. And that's in addition to new characters Robyn, Damon, Finn, Rhys, and the kumpania (clairvoyant compound). See what I mean? I like the book, but wow, it helps if you've read the rest of the series, and if you can keep track of all the different voices.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living with the Dead.