Sara's Reviews > Airel

Airel by Aaron M. Patterson

F_50x66
Jul 17, 12

** spoiler alert ** This is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read (or, to be more precise, tried to read). Airel is the most irritating character I've ever come across. Not only is she annoying and air-headed, but this character is sending all of the wrong messages to teenage girls who are, I'm assuming, the target audience of the novel.

Here is a sample of Airel's character: She is, in my opinion, though I don't read a plethora of YA fantasy, a stereotypical female protagonist. Petite, insanely focused on her own looks, doesn't think she's pretty but somehow the main male character thinks she's the most beautiful creature that has ever lived. She is completely self-centered. She is smart, but she pretends not to be because otherwise a boy will never be interested in her. At many points she makes incredibly sexist comments. She states that boys don't like girls who think too much, that girls should let boys be the smart one in the relationship, and that boys only fall for what they can see.

I was going to say that I'm surprised such an insipid female POV was written by men, but actually, I'm not. Their views on women are coming through quite clearly. Obviously Airel (and her friend Kim, who is no better) is what they think teenage girls are like. It's frankly incredibly insulting.

I guess a large part of it is the writing as well. I stopped reading this over a month ago so I can't give any specific examples at the moment, but I remember way too many grammatical errors. Even if that weren't true, the writing is just inane. We get a multi-chapter description of Airel and Michael walking around the mall, going into American Eagle and eating lunch in the food court. I don't find it all that exciting when that's my own day. I certainly don't want to read about it.

I will admit here that I did not finish this book. I stuck with it up through the first Kreios part because I thought perhaps the story would pick up once the connection between Airel and Michael was established. I was very, very wrong. The Kreios parts were even more boring than all of Airel's idiotic chatter.

I can't imagine anyone over the age of 15 actually enjoying this book, though apparently many did. Even to a teenager I would not recommend this book when there are so many decent things out there to read. I'm just glad I bought this on my Kindle for $3 because if I'd paid for an actual book I would want my money back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Airel.