Lydia Presley's Reviews > Broken Harbor

Broken Harbor by Tana French

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: ireland, 2012, fiction, favorites, mystery
Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

Tana French is my go-to gal for mystery, suspense, solid characters, and fantastic story-telling. In Broken Harbor she returns, once again, to tell a gritty, hard story and this time she's focused on "Scorcher" Kennedy and his rookie partner, Richie.

Scorcher made an appearance in French's last book, Faithful Place, but you are not required to read her previous books to jump into this one - which is one of the strengths of this series. Each book focuses on a character that is thoroughly explored ... but not only is that character development happening, a murder is being investigated as well.

Broken Harbor deals with a particularly brutal case. A family of four was targeted and Scorcher and Richie have their work cut out for them. I got what I've come to expect from Tana French, twisting and turning, terse dialogue, unexpected developments, and ... something very strange. What I love most about French is that she doesn't feel the need to answer every question - she understands that some things the imagination should be free to do with as it will, and mine is still running in circles around some of the developments of the case Scorcher was up against.

In a world where we are inundated with books by "big names" churning out a book every 3 months or so (it seems), it's refreshing to pick up a book like this and know that there will be a quality story inside. And coming from me - someone who really doesn't read a lot of mystery any longer, that's big praise.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbor.