Pamela's Reviews > The Crimson Crimes: A Vampire Revenge

The Crimson Crimes by Patricia K. McCarthy

Sep 20, 12

Read from September 13 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Samuel Crimson is a hybrid vampire (half human, half vampire). His father Sir William Hennessy, the only vampire in existance, wanted to create a new hybrid race of vampires by biting pregnant women in their 9th month of pregnancy which is how Samuel came to be what he is. Prior to Sir William's death, he changed Samuel's wife Magdalene into a vampire. Now Magdalene is the one true vampire in existence, thus making her the supreme ruler.

When Sir William's hiding place for his victims becomes compromised, Samuel along with Magdalene and their closest friends Kevin and Derek Coffey and David Three Rats set out to remove and bury the bodies before they are discovered by police. Unfortunately, things don't go as expected, putting them in more danger. Also, Cain, Samuel's half-brother, is out to exact revenge against Samuel for the death of their half-brother Raven since Samuel is the one that killed him.

When I read up on this book prior to signing up with the tour, the information that I found stated that the book, although book five in the series, can be read as a standalone novel. Maybe it's because I've yet to read the first four books, but I don't agree with that. It really felt to me as if it was a continuation, though you are given some pertinent information to catch you up to speed with what is going on at the moment. Plus, by the end of the book there is no resolution to any of the things going on in the book. My guess is that some or all will be resolved in the next book.

Now, that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the book. I've read a lot of vampire related stories since becoming a fan of reading. I love when authors come up with their own take on vampires. I would be bored if all vampires in every book ever written were all the same. So I thought it interesting that there seemed to be only one true vampire in existence at a time in this book. Sure, there are hybrids but they don't exist in the same way that a true vampire does. In The Crimson Crimes, a true vampire needs blood to survive, they don't sleep ... ever, and they can't be captured on film. However, that is not the case with a hybrid. Hybrid's can live without blood but not food, they sleep, and they can be photographed. For Magdalene, not being able to sleep keeps her from experiencing the dreaming stones which allows the user to travel through time within their dreams and see past or future events.

At the beginning of the book the author warns about strong language and rudeness, etc. Had I not read that in advance, I might have been a bit shocked by some of the language at first, but none of that bothered me. About the only thing that annoyed me a bit was when it felt like I was reading driving instructions. I wouldn't have minded if it only happened once, but it seemed like any time the characters were on the road or discussing where they were going and how they were going to get there, it seemed to consist of detailed instructions on how to get from one point to another.

I do feel the book is well written and very interesting. I am curious about the previous books and of course the next one because I would very much like to know how the situations in The Crimson Crimes play out.

**I received a copy of The Crimson Crimes from the author in exchange for a review.**
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crimson Crimes.