Karin's Reviews > City of Glass

Dec 20, 08

bookshelves: youngadult, 2008-reads, vampires, favorites, werewolves
Read in December, 2008

March 2009

The third and final installment in the Mortal Instruments trilogy definitely lives up to the reputation of the first two – CITY OF BONES and CITY OF ASHES. CITY OF GLASS picks up a short time after CITY OF ASHES ends. Clary has a mission. Madeleine, her mother’s friend, is possibly the only person who knows how to wake her mother from a coma. Clary will have to travel to Alicante in Idris to get what she needs.

Alicante is the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters. It is known as the City of Glass because of the beautifully tall glass towers that guard the city from harm. The only way to get to Idris is through a portal and Magnus, the warlock, has arranged one. Clary is planning to go through the portal with Jace and the Lightwoods. The only problem is, Jace doesn’t want Clary to go so he lies to her about when he and the Lightwoods are leaving. He thinks it is too dangerous for Clary.

After being left behind, Clary eventually finds her way to Alicante. She uses her ability to create runes and makes a portal for herself. Being new to the Shadowhunter world, Clary doesn’t know that using a portal and entering the city without permission is against the law. If she is found she could be put to death.

Once in the City of Glass, Clary is thrown in the middle of the largest battle the Shadowhunters have ever had to face. Valentine’s evil plans are in the final stages and everyone is on full alert, not knowing what he will do next. Jace and Clary’s complicated relationship keeps them just as confused as ever, but provides great excitement for the reader.

Cassandra Clare works magic with this novel. The excitement begins on the first page and doesn’t stop until the final sentence. She brings everything full circle for a completely satisfying ending – even though fans would be more than happy to read about these beloved characters forever. One thing Cassandra Clare fans need to keep an eye out for is the release of THE CLOCKWORK PRINCESS: VOLUME 1 of THE INFERNAL DEVICES. THE INFERNAL DEVICES is a trilogy of prequels set one hundred and forty years ago in Victorian England. Tessa, a warlock, is the main character. The first prequel to the Mortal Instruments trilogy is scheduled to be released Fall 2010.

10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Glass.

11/28/2008 page 10
1.85% 1 comment
12/02/2008 page 493
91.13% "WOW!!!" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Malena Karin you are so lucky to get your hands on this book. March seems like a lifetime to wait.

Angela I am SOOO excited for this book! 5 stars, huh? I've read all the snippets that Cassandra Clare has posted online so I'm interested to see how they fit in with the whole story!!

Bree. Oh My, Just reading that then, has made me more eager for the book to come.
March does seen forever away, Only two months, but still that is a lifetime.
I'm so jealous right now, that you got your hands on the novel!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen this series is by far my favorite
i can't even pick between city of bones or city of ashes im in love with them both equally
when i read the first one i couldn't put it down until it was done and then read it again
it's so awsome that you get to read these books bofore they come out
im dying to read how it all ends for jace and clary
and after reading your review, i know this book is going to be amazing

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen how many pages is it
is it longer or shorter then the first two
thats if you are able to tell me
i would understand if you can't
but if you can i would love to know
thanks

Bree. I would love to know how it ends also for Jace and Clary, also between Simon and Clary.
I love how at the end of City of Ashes, It leaves you wondering what could possibly come in the third one...

Hayden it isn't the final book, there are three more!

Mimi Well u just said everything that is going to happen in this book. What disturbs me is that i don't think i can get more frustrated with clary's and Jace's relationship than i already am. Why can't they just be together?

Haley I haven't read all the other comments but...you know there are three other books in this series, one is city of fallen angels and I can't remember the titles of the other two but the are out in 2012 and 2014. There's also a prequel trilogy and the second one Clockwork Prince is out in december