Elin's Reviews > The Pact

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

Feb 20, 2009

liked it
Read in February, 2009

I'll admit that Picoult can tell a story and keep me interested, but she has some seriously annoying writing tics that almost made me stop reading. Some examples: "...,' he said softly"; "...,' she said thickly"; and (my favorite) "...,' he said, his eyes shining." Blech. Spare me! If only I had a dollar for every time I had to read one of these trite phrases. Is there not some other way to convey that someone is speaking softly than by saying "softly"?

Also, someone needs to re-edit this book because I found errors (like, saying he instead of she).

Yes, I realize this isn't the type of substantive review that will help anyone, but I had to rant.

(Ben, if you are reading this, I know you are rolling your eyes. Probably Minnie, too.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pact.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

Jennifer what do you think so far?

Elin So far, so good. Much better than the first one I tried.

Minnie Elin wrote: "So far, so good. Much better than the first one I tried.

"

I am seriously getting tired of Jodi....i think i need a big break from her writing!!

Ellen I SO AGREE!
I think i counted someone speaking 'softly' 50 times in just this book. What does that even mean?