Bur's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

F_50x66
Jul 17, 12

Read in June, 2011

I stumbled upon a quote and I thought it was interesting. I was a bit sceptical about my future career and life and I thought this book would help me.
I’m going to try to explain my thoughts on this: It’s unlike other books, as in, the benefits of it aren’t always relevant. It’s the kind of book you keep around and when in doubt about a certain aspect of your life, read the chapter relating to that subject.
I was excited to read it, but then I realised, it’s not all beneficial. It’s basically a book full of ‘helpful tips’ but instead of doing a quick Google search, you’d read this lady’s experiences. It deals with a lot of different subjects like marriage, children, friendship, money, career, enthusiasm and energy. It’s true that you can apply some aspect to relevant things, like the tips from marriage can be applied to friendship. I, however, can not benefit from most of those chapters because they had nothing to do with me or my life. It did push me to clean my house and which lead to my mum being happy -and promising me money that she never did give me, by the way- but that’s about it.
It’s not a ‘book’, it’s basically a bunch of pages full of tips on how to improve your life. I don’t recommend it.
There were some great quotes, but it really didn’t feel like a book to me. I was very disappointed and worst of all, it’s such a long book so I wasted a lot of time reading something that isn’t helpful.

I think the funny part is how this book is supposed to make me happy, but it did nothing but.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.