Shel's Reviews > The Wave in the Mind: Talks & Essays on the Writer, the Reader & the Imagination

The Wave in the Mind by Ursula K. Le Guin

Aug 09, 2010

bookshelves: read-this-for-writers, writergeek
Read from July 02 to August 09, 2010

An inspiring collection of essays on reading, writing, and social justice — Le Guin's geeky, syllable-counting fascination with the rhythm of writing, thoughtful point of view, love of storytelling, and audible passion for her craft becomes infectious. Under her tutelage, the decision to sit at the keyboard and write, even on a beckoning sunny day, seems perfectly rational, fun and undeniable.

Le Guin discusses and admires the works of authors including: Virginia Woolf (To the Lighthouse), Jane Austin, Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Diaries of Adam and Eve), J.L. Borges (The Book of Fantasy), Cordwainer Smith, Sylvia Townsend Warner, Salman Rushdie, Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings), Tolstoy (War and Peace, Anna Karenina) Italo Calvino (Invisible Cities), Philip K. Dick (The Man in the High Castle), and Carol Emshwiller.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wave in the Mind.

07/11/2010 "Excellent. An inspiring collection of essays highlighting Le Guin's geeky fascination with the rhythm of writing. The thoughtful voice, ideas and passion in these pieces make sitting down at the keyboard on a sunny day seem like a perfectly fun decision."
08/06/2010 ""For me it's not enough to be a good rider, I want to be a centaur." "I respect commas far more than I do congressmen.""
08/07/2010 ""Many writers now call any period of silence a 'block.' Would it not be better to look on it as a clearing? A way to go until you get where you need to be?""