Bookworm1858's Reviews > Sulan, Episode 1: The League

Sulan, Episode 1 by Camille Picott

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, ya-read, dystopia
Read on August 30, 2012

Very readable-read it all in one night because I had to know what happened next!

As I said, I liked the sound of this book but once I actually picked it up, I struggled a bit. Sulan wants desperately to be a warrior, to have fighting skills and I've always been a bookworm so I did not understand her desire. If I had her mathematical skills, I'm pretty sure I'd be content. Just saying. I was also having trouble imagining the virtual experience Sulan undergoes. While I've read and seen other stories with that element, I just had trouble focusing on it this time.

I kept going though, telling myself, "Just one more chapter." Well one turned into two turned into finishing the book in one night. I would describe the length of the chapters as short-medium length which is pretty much perfect for me and everyone ended with a tease that made me have to continue. While the beginning is a little slow with (necessary) setup, the middle and end are fast-paced and jam-packed. Although the story is partly resolved, there are still many threads that will be addressed in the sequels I hope are coming.

Sulan, although opposite to me temperamentally, is very sympathetic and has good reasons for wanting to be able to defend herself giving the chaotic world in which she lives, where students are daily at risk of being killed by guerrilla warriors. I also really loved her pet/guard Riska who is drawn as a bat/cat hybrid in the back. Fierce, protective, and fuzzy-does it get any better? Her friend Hank was also a particular favorite of mine-very smart girl (actually pretty much every character is super smart, no face-palming here!) with believable motivations and actions.

Overall: A really fun introduction with solid world-building and loads of action-worth checking out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sulan, Episode 1.