Stephanie's Reviews > Serena

Serena by Ron Rash

1931035
Jul 18, 12

Read in July, 2012

Very well-written, but not particularly enjoyable to read. The two central characters are horrible, morally bankrupt people. Their disregard for life at the expense of personal profit is shown in parallel through their rape of the land as they log it to barrenness, their treatment of the animals that inhabit the land, their lack of concern over the number of loggers maimed or killed, and the string of murders they commit to further their own interests. These actions are set against the backdrop of the efforts to establish the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

The description of life in a logging camp in Depression-era North Carolina did hold my interest, but I thought that the ease with which the murders were committed was a bit unbelievable, even if the unwillingness of the paid-off law enforcement to investigate/prosecute was. Would it really be that hard for the various men, etc. to disappear without being tracked down by the Pembertons? It seemed unlikely that NONE of them could get away, or would be prepared to fight back.

I also found the ending unsatisfying, and had hoped for more information about Serena's mysterious origins at some point. The quality of the writing may lead me to seek out another of the author's books, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serena.