Christy (TheReaderBee)'s Reviews > The Treachery of Beautiful Things

The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

2201617
Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: arcs-for-review, e-arcs-to-review, read-in-2012, young-adult-fiction, ya-fantasy, ya-paranormal
Read from July 17 to 21, 2012

As posted on TheReaderBee.com.

The Treachery of Beautiful Things is a fascinating fairy tale novel by author Ruth Frances Long. I was drawn to this book by its gorgeous cover, but the novel itself is what completely blew me away!

Seventeen year old Jenny visits the woods where her brother, Tom, disappeared 7 years before, in hopes of finally coming to terms with his disappearance. While in the woods, Jenny is lured into the trees by the sound if familiar music. She quickly discovers that the world in the trees is completely different than her own. With the help of Jack o’ the Forest, she must find a way to save herself, and her long lost brother as well.

The characters in the book were all interesting. Jenny, the main character, was head-strong and brave. I love that she never gave up on finding her brother. Even through all the weirdness, she never gave up. I really enjoyed her character. Jack, who is a guardian in the forest, has to be my favorite character of the book. He was so mysterious and was so torn between what he should do for himself, and what he has to do for Jenny. I really enjoyed the relationship between these two characters. Especially the ending, it was so very sweet.

The storyline for this book was really interesting. It reminded me a lot of the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, but only because it had similar characters; Robin Goodfellow, Oberon, Mab, etc. But that is where the similarities end for me. The story was unique enough that it kept me guessing throughout the whole book. Things I should have caught on to pretty quickly completely passed me by because I was so engrossed in the book. It was that good! This is also a stand-alone novel, and the end of the book left me with the perfect amount of closure. I loved it!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! With its unique storyline and awesome characters, it makes for a really engrossing read! I am really looking forward to reading more books in the future by this wonderful new author.

Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treachery of Beautiful Things.

07/20/2012 page 126