Ciara's Reviews > Delicate

Delicate by Steph Campbell

Jul 17, 12

Now I have to reread Grounding Quinn since we get a good insight of her character in this one!! Not surprised I loved this one just as much, Campbell's character building and ability to tackle real teen angst and emotion is refreshing! Wow I am so moved I actually have to take a minute to collect my thoughts! Stephanie Campbell really did a number on me when she introduced me to Sydney in this moving tale of a talented young girl struggling to always do the right thing! Sydney is a renowned gymnast with a grueling schedule to follow in preparation for Nationals. On top of that she has signed on to do a reality show that will chronicle her gymnastics and her life! And what a life she leads!! Her mother has passed away leaving her family life missing essentials every family needs, making it hard for them to be a family unit. Her sister barely speaks to her and her father is still grieving, Sydney goes above and beyond to make them happy. But it's her relationship with her boyfriend Trevor that makes this story so emotional. His possessiveness and inability to respect physical boundaries break Sydney's happy facade. Because when Grant moves into town and starts showing an interest in Sydney, Trevor starts lashing out, physically! I must say that I truly felt sorry for this poor girl who had the weight of the world on her shoulders. Her constant struggle between making herself happy and making others happy was a difficult journey, and her strength was moving! I loved her relationship with Grant, how he helped her realize life was nothing without happiness, how he constantly reminded her of just how great she was. I like how Campbell focused on the struggle to realize your own self worth, the struggles that come with relationships where too much is expected, and her ability to put it all into perspective! I loved the outcome and will gladly recommend this to my friends! Grant is definitely on the top of my list of best book boyfriend's!! He is so swoon worthy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delicate.