LA Carlson's Reviews > Mike Wallace: A Life

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: historial-memoir
Recommended for: news junkies
Read from July 15 to 17, 2012, read count: 1

From the first pages author Peter Rader places the reader at the beginning of Mike (born Myron) Wallace's life. We come to know his family life and how he was a rambunctious boy who didn't seem to live up to the expectations of a strict mother. His father may have helped soften the regimen but Wallace was going to gain his independence one way or another. As anyone who has watched Mike Wallace on television knows he had a tenacity that was second to none and it's clear it began with his first job. This story details his personal battles with his appearance, the death of one of his sons, the failed marriages, depression and invites us into the newsroom. This is a story about one of the most recognized faces in journalism and yet he was feared by some of the most famous people and company executives. I have to say I appreciate the late Mike Wallace more than ever especially when I see where journalism has gone today. The story is punctuated with black and white pictures. Even though his story is sad at times I was touched to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mike Wallace.