Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Sweet Talk

2043222
Aug 01, 12

Read from July 26 to 28, 2012

Review posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

This is my first Contemporary Julie Garwood, and I really liked it. By the third page, I was already smiling. I think that I was surprised how often I smiled. I’ve only ever read Garwood’s beautiful, sprawling Historicals, and I’m not really sure what I was expecting. But whatever it was, this was better.

Olivia accidentally messes up an FBI sting by being at the wrong place at the wrong time. If you add that to the fact that she is trying very hard to put her wealthy and well-loved father behind bars, and she’s made some enemies.

Olivia works for the IRS. Her father is the kind of handsome and charming man everyone instantly adores. They trust him immediately, and then they give him their money to invest. He then invests it, and everyone loses money, but he always makes it away scot-free. Olivia overhears something she shouldn’t have, and from that moment on, her life’s mission has been to put him in jail.

Grayson helps Olivia after the FBI sting goes belly-up, and he and she can’t stop thinking about each other. And then he finds out her life is in danger. He is back in her life with a bang! I loved seeing them together, I loved how they were together, but there were some parts I didn’t love so much.

There were a couple times where Grayson tried to keep his distance from Olivia, but it felt, wrong somehow. Like they have fantastic, earth-shattering sex, and he doesn’t talk to her for weeks afterwards. It was odd. I didn’t care for it. I also didn’t like how easily she kept letting him come back. Either you’re together or you aren’t, you know?

I think the suspense plot was well-done, and I loved the interaction between Gray and Olivia. I hated Olivia’s sister. I get her mom, sort of, but her sister? Oh man, I just wanted her to get slapped hard with reality just once.

On the whole, this was a fantastic read, with great characters and the writing is everything you’d expect from Julie Garwood.

***Thank you to Penguin for the Reviewer Copy
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Talk.

07/26/2012 page 3
0.82% "page 3 and I'm smiling already-this looks to be a good one!"
07/26/2012 page 98
26.78% ""I had a lovely time tonight," she said, remembering the awards gala. "It was really nice..."She realized what she was saying. "Except for the two people you had to shoot, and except for...Oh God, Grayson, just kiss me. I won't stop talking until you do."
LOL smooth one, Olivia"
07/27/2012 page 193
52.73% "I stayed up til 1am before I stopped-this is reallygood!"
07/27/2012 page 266
72.68% "I'm a-ok w/no birth control in my Historicals and paranormals, but is it weird it drives me nuts that there was no mention of condoms or any form of birth control in this one? I guess I expect contemporaries to be a bit more realistic."
07/28/2012
100.0% "4 stars-great book!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

KatLynne Great review Laura! Your review reflects many of my feelings for this one.

message 2: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Sounds great! Ive never read a Contemp JG either.

Laura the Highland Hussy thanks KatLynne :) did you review it? I'll go check...

Brittany, it was good, but you can tell she has the same style of writing. Honestly, I liked it, but I liked her Historicals better.

message 4: by Brittany B. (last edited Aug 03, 2012 03:54PM) (new)

Brittany B. That's what most say... I went through a serious Julie Garwood historical phase... I was depressed when I found out she stopped writing them. :)

The Bride is an HR must-read... IMO!