Dan's Reviews > Backup

Backup by Jim Butcher

Jul 18, 12

Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

Despite being a huge Dresden Files fan, I have to say I was a little disappointed by this for two reasons.

First, Thomas's narrative voice sounds an awful lot like Harry's. A little blander perhaps, and certainly with fewer nerdy pop culture references, but still possessed of the same manic dry wit enough that it was hard to think that I was reading another character.

Second, the narrative is fairly "day in the life of + small adventure", but a major scene in the middle hinges around a detailed explanation of the Oblivion War. Thus, I get the feeling that the rest was meant solely as a framing device for those details which Butcher hadn't been able to get to via the novels.

Which is not to say I didn't enjoy it. I recognized the scenes, though I forget which book they're from, and seeing a story like this through the eyes of another character is always fun. The ending is very satisfying as well.

Still, unless you're a die-hard Dresden fan, and then maybe even if you are, passing this by won't cause you to miss a whole lot that couldn't be explained by someone who's read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Backup.