Jacob's Reviews > The Pastor's Wife

The Pastor's Wife by Elizabeth von Arnim
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pastor's Wife.

03/20 marked as: paused
03/20 marked as: unfinished
03/21 marked as: did-not-finish

message 1: by Jan-Maat (new) - added it

Jan-Maat I thought this was an interesting book, really ought to reread it, there's a barely fictionalised description of her brief encounter with HG Wells towards the end.

message 2: by Jan-Maat (new) - added it

Jan-Maat Don't remember either but then the book isn't really about him (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)!

message 3: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob Jan-Maat wrote: "I thought this was an interesting book, really ought to reread it, there's a barely fictionalised description of her brief encounter with HG Wells towards the end."

Check out "The Enchanted April" too. That was the first von Arnim I read, and it led me to pick up this one. I'll probably start it soon.

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Liberty wrote: "I forgot about the HG Wells affair! I forget who he left her for."

message 5: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob Liberty wrote: "Okay, I started it today. It may take me a little while to finish it though."

That's fine. I'm just starting now, but I'll probably take my time since I'm re-reading Moby-Dick.

Miriam wrote: "Liberty wrote: "I forgot about the HG Wells affair! I forget who he left her for."

Rebecca West? Amber Reeves? he really had a thing for authoresses. Or, er, women in general."

Forgot? I never knew about it in the first place, so you're still ahead. How much do you know about H. G. Wells, and where can I learn the same?

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I haven't read anything of hers. Looks like she was prior to West. She also had his baby.

message 7: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob Liberty wrote: "It makes me want to cry and slap her around. It's the character's lack of agency. Oh, I'm marrying him because I have no ability to express what I want, and then I'm fucking surprised when no one sees me or listen to me..."

Yeah, I know what you mean. The story had some potential, but Ingeborg's inability to speak up got old very, very fast. Enchanted April, this isn't.

message 8: by Jan-Maat (new) - added it

Jan-Maat So you don't have enough grit and iron determination to read the marriage problem novels of the pre-WWI world eh? ;)