Kina's Reviews > The Black Isle

The Black Isle by Sandi Tan

Aug 08, 2012

Read from July 17 to August 08, 2012

I am an eclectic reader. I also love *well-written* paranormal stories of which there are maybe five - ever. This is in that list. I bought it at Kobo for the $4.99 offer, the same as a previous reviewer. I thought it would be mediocre at best. Wow - what a very pleasant surprise. I bought it last night and am now 1/3 through (according to my Kobo app).

Can't wait to finish it.... but I suspect I will miss it incredibly when I am done.

Great job Sandi Tan! Looking forward to more intriguing novels from you.

~~~ Finished reading.

About halfway through the novel, I felt it dragged a bit. I didn't feel that anxious anticipation for the next page like I did for the first portion of the book. However, I feel the last 1/3 of the book redeemed itself somewhat. Having said that, it is still one of the best paranormal novels I've read in a few years, and am grateful Ms. Tan skipped the popular easy-sell genres of vampires, zombies and witches.

If you like historical fiction, the complex mix of various Asian cultures and the paranormal, I think you will enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Isle.

message 1: by Will (new)

Will What are the other four?

Kina That's a great question and I honestly can't even think of four that I would have read at that time, with the exception of Peter Straub's "Ghost Story."

Lately, however, I've been on a Victorian ghost story kick and have picked up some good reads in that category - typically "new gothic" (non-vampire non-werewolf non-witch). One was John Harwood's "The Seance." It wasn't really a ghost story, but it was typically a neo-gothic novel.

Just finished John Harding's "Florence and Giles." A short read, but I enjoyed it.

As the day passes, if I remember some of the older paranormal books I've read and enjoyed, I will let you know!

Any recommendations you may have for me?