Scarlet's Reviews > Seraphina

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Apr 09, 13

bookshelves: audiobooks, ya, fantasy
Read in April, 2013

This book starts off so promisingly, with an interesting and original world. But it fails in various spots to be character-driven. Instead, what happens is what the author wants to happen, whether it's exposition or a plot point.

Also, I couldn't quite believe that an isolated 16yo with no friends or social experience would be quite so bold about contradicting royalty or pursuing her own investigation. And the princess was rather unbelievable; she spends most of the book as an airhead and then summons unprecedented royal dignity out of nowhere.

Kiggs ... he's, what, nineteen? And already captain of the royal guard? And if bastardy is so frowned upon in their society, how does he manage to be the most suitable match for the heir to the throne? How does marrying him cement an alliance or otherwise benefit the kingdom?

I think I would have liked this book more if I'd read it, instead of listening to it. There was nothing wrong with the reader, but instead of being swept along by the book, I had a lot of time to think about its flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seraphina.