Mike's Reviews > The Case of the Singing Sword

it was ok
bookshelves: podiobooks, partly-read, indie
Read from July 17 to September 02, 2012

Here's an exercise.

Go and read a Damon Runyon short story. Something by Dashiell Hammett or Raymond Chandler will probably do as well, but I know Runyon, so I say Runyon. One of his pieces is linked from his Wikipedia article.

Now take a look at the preview of this book.

See the difference in the writing?

If you don't see the difference, you may enjoy this one.

Of course, it's a little unfair to compare anyone to those masters, but if someone is writing a hard-boiled detective story, even mashed up with an epic fantasy character, I'd like to think that they'd adopt some of the style. Swift, action-packed, vivid prose, with not a word wasted, and metaphors that leap off the page. Not dense, slow, overwritten, vague, and determined to drive every minor point thoroughly into the ground. (I suppose, on reflection, the author could have been going for the epic fantasy style instead.)

A little over halfway through, I couldn't take the style any more and stopped reading. The story wasn't anything out of the ordinary (given "fantasy dwarf as hardboiled detective", anyway), and was moving so slowly through the dense thickets of unremarkable imagery that I lost interest.

Plus the flappers were all curvy, and had long hair. Has the author ever looked at a picture of a flapper?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Singing Sword.

08/15/2012 page 150
49.0% "He keeps describing how buxom the flappers are. And this one has shoulder-length hair. Has he seen any pictures of flappers?"