Vanessa Booke's Reviews > Jane

Jane by April Lindner

Jul 17, 12

Jane by April Lindner is a fantastic re-telling of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. I am a huge fan of the classics anything from Pride and Prejudice to Wuthering Heights, so I was thrilled to see that Lindner wrote a contemporary version of Jane Eyre. Jane is the same plain and serious orphan who's thrust into trying to find work in order to go to school, after the death of her two parents. I really enjoyed the authors creativity within this story. I loved that Nico was this handsome, arrogant and stubborn rock star idol. The contrast between him and Jane was fun and exciting. I really enjoyed the overall story and I really felt that Lindner did a fantastic job bringing to life this story. Jane Eyre is not an easy story to set in a contemporary setting, but I really felt that the author stayed true to Bronte's vision of who Jane is. The changes within the story were perfect. It took away the predictability of the story and really gave Lindner's version its own voice. I think my only complaint would be in a way I felt that Jane was a little too plain. So much so that it felt like the romance between her and Nico was dimmed. If not for the fact that I've already read Jane Eyre, I think I would've been a little disappointed at how cold Jane came off towards the middle of the book. Overall, I think this is a fantastic re-telling of Jane's story and I would highly recommend it to readers! If you loved the classic novel than you'll love this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane.