Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Blaze of Winter

Blaze of Winter by Elisabeth Barrett

Posted on Under the Covers

Famous writer, T.R. Grayson aka Theo is finding it difficult to find his muse. Stuck in a rut, he takes his brother’s offer to spend some time in his hometown of Star Harbor to regroup and find some inspiration. Instead, he finds a sweet woman in Avery Newbridge, a social worker from Boston who is also struggling with finding out who she is.

As Avery delays and works at the Star Harbor Inn, the bad-boy-turned-good-boy Theo takes it upon himself to spend the rest of his time in Star Harbor at the Inn where he can write solidly for hours. Except distraction comes in the form of Avery’s sweet body and now, not even the swashbuckling adventures he writes is enough to hold his attention.

BLAZE OF WINTER easily became my favorite of the series so far. This book had it all: dynamic characters, interesting plot and a sense of honesty and simplicity that I love in all my favorite Contemporary Romances.

The romance builds at a slow pace, but don’t get me wrong. There is plenty of sizzling sexual tension to keep you satisfied. Barrett does a fantastic job of bringing two people who are searching for something more in their lives together and gives them the gift of love. With a touch of sweetness and a lot of chemistry, Barrett delivers the best of the Star Harbor series yet! I cannot wait for the next book!

*ARC provided by publisher
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaze of Winter.

07/30/2012 page 178
57.79% "Enjoying this one!" 18 comments

Sarah I'm looking forward to this one! I really liked Deep Autumn Heat :o)

Sarah I loved Seb but I think I'll like Theo even more :-)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yes, me too! I like all the brothers.

Sarah I do love this kind of series where you get to know a group of characters. It kind of reminded me of Lucky Harbor :-)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yes! Which is why I started reading it in the first place. But I'm partial to Lucky Harbor. That series just rocks.

Sarah You already know I agree with you about the LH books :o) This series is a good tide me over one to keep us going until the next 3 LH books though LOL

Louise Kemp Just bought Deep Autumn Heat after seeing this on your list and this one is on my wish list. I really want to read the Lucky Harbor series but you can't get it for kindle in the UK on Amazon :o(

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) You know what else is a fab contemporary romance series? Bella Andre's Sullivans. It's about one big family and all the heroes are super HOTT!!! And Sarrrrrraahhh, book 3 is about a firefighter :P I know you're excited about that :P

Louise Kemp I have just checked to see if they are on UK Amazon and they are only about £3 each will be checking them out, thanks ;O)

Sarah @ Louise - I was so annoyed that the Lucky Harbor books weren't available for kindle in the UK! I ended up ordering the paperbacks because Annie raved about them so much & they're definitely worth it! I love that series but Deep Autumn Heat was good too (if you like that you'll LOVE the LH books!)

@ Annie - did someone say firefighter??? Sign me up for that LMAO!! My step-dad was a firefoghter so I grew up surrounded by them - nearly all my teenage crushes were in uniforms LOL. I've not read anything by Bella Andre but will have to do something about that! You sure are killing my bank balance this month but I love you for it :-)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yay, glad you're trying them out!

hehehe, you know you love it Sarah! I actually read that series out of order. Started with the third book because the author had requested a review, and omg I fell in love with Gabe! He's the firefighter and it was AWESOME!!! Then I went to buy the first two. They are great also, but I think from book 3 and onwards, they are just so damn good! Sexy and fun.

Sarah You've sold me yet another series Annie LOL. I will definitely be buying them soon :o)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yes! And they are cheap too! Under $5 for a full length book? Totally awesome! I hope you'll like!

Sarah The first one is only £3.31 on the Kindle which is a pretty good price :o) At least you're not recommending mega expensive books LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) haha See, I AM thinking about your wallet :P

Sarah LMAO true :-) and if I buy the cheaper kindle version I won't have to see it staring at me from my new bookshelves & making me feel guilty

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL see, it all works out! :P

You know what the bad thing is...the one click thing on amazon. Its just so easy to purchase things!!!

Louise Kemp @Sarah, I was thinking of investing in the paperbacks they sound just the type of books I enjoy!! I just bought Deep Autumn Heat and was sold on the cover alone, lol :o)
@Annie, I've bought the first Sullivans book too and the rest are on my wish list. Curse Amazon and it's one click purchase, I get to carried away ;o)

Sarah Annie, amazon one click is wonderfully evil! It's so easy to buy and so hard to resist LOL

Louise, LOL I wanted to read Deep Autumn Heat just for the cover too! I'd say if you enjoy that one then it's definitely worth picking up the paperbacks of the LH series. You can buy an anthology that contains the first two books in one book, that's what I did to make it cheaper. The anthology is Christmas in Lucky Harbor: Simply Irresistible/the Sweetest Thing and it includes Simply Irresistible and The Sweetest Thing

Louise Kemp @Sarah, thanks for the heads up, I will see if I can find a copy !!! :0)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) @Louise yay! I hope you enjoy then!! And I hope you can find a copy of the LH books! They are amazing!

Sarah You're welcome Louise :o) I bought my copy from Amazon but please ignore the negative reviews on there - a lot of people complained that they bought the anthology thinking it was a new book in the series & not realising it was the book they'd already read. Because of course it's the books fault that they couldn't be bothered to read the description!! Some people are idiots LOL

Louise Kemp @Sarah was that your review on Amazon ?? Thanks for the heads up purchased the Christmas in Lucky Harbor but will be grumpy I have to read a book as I prefer my Kindle :0)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I thought that was a pretty good price for those two books.

Louise Kemp Only £5.25 bargain !!!

Sarah Hi Louise, yes the 5 star review on Amazon was mine, the two 1 star reviews were from idiots LOL. I thought it was fab to be able to buy 2 books for the price of 1 :o) I really hope you enjoy it!

I have had my kindle for over a year now but it has only been the last couple of months that I have really started to use it all the time. I think I'll always still buy print books too though!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) hahah "from idiots" LOLOL Sarah!

I buy both print and ebooks. Isnt that weird? Like I own the arcs of all the LH books, but Im going to buy the final copies too.

Sarah Well those other reviewers both gave the book 1 star because they didn't realise it was an anthology containing the first 2 books in the series. It's hardly the author or publishers fault that they didn't bother to read the description! In my book that makes them both idiots LOL

I do that too with books I really loved Annie, I bought the first 3 LH books in print & will buy books 4-6 even though I got arcs from netgalley. I'm just waiting until I have a bit of spare cash to pay for them. I don't buy finished copies of all the review books I get but definitely the ones I really lenjoyed :-)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL You know, funny that we're talking about this. I posted a review last night for an paranormal menage story and this person commented and said that "the reviewer made a mistake" because I gave it 3 stars instead of 5 like she thinks it deserves. I just didn't like it compared to the author's other works. She got mad. LOL 3 isnt bad. Just not as good as 5 stars.then she said, "I hope you can objectively review the second book" Oh boy.

HEY! I know you girls are in the UK so the deals might be different, but TODAY ONLY all the books in the Sullivan series are $1.99 each.

Sarah LMAO Annie, I've had that kind of comment on my Amazon reviews before too. 3 stars means I liked it, 4 if I really enjoyed it and 5 if I was amazed by it. I would never question the rating that anyone gives a book because we all have different tastes and that's not a problem. What really annoys me with these 2 reviews is that they both say they really enjoyed the first 3 LH books but were annoyed when they bought the anthology because they thought it was a new book. Well that's your own stupid fault for being too dumb to read the book description before you bought it LMAO. (You can see what I mean here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-In-...)

Thanks for the heads up about the cheaper price for the Sullivan books. I had a look in the UK store though & they're all still £3 something. I don't think that's a bad price anyway though so I can't complain LOL

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) You know, I think you can switch to Amazon US, if you want to get free books we have and you don't, and deals they are only running on Amazon US. I know there were some free reads on Amazon UK once, that they weren't offering us in the US, and I made a amazon UK account and was able to grab it, I just had to manually download it.

I totally forget how I did it, lol It has been awhile but I know it worked.

Sorry I crashed your thread, apparently I'm 'trolling' as they call it today ;-P

Sarah LOL thanks for the suggestion SK & feel free to join my conversations any time :o) I think it only counts as trolling when you jump on a thread just to be nasty (which obviously you wouldn't do!).

I think I have an Amazon US account because I ordered paperback books there years ago. I'll have to try and figure out if I can download kindle books through it. I'm off to investigate LOL

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) LOL!

No nastiness from me, I like healthy book conversations ;-P

Sarah I already knew that about you :o) As far as I'm concerned you can never have too many people involved in a fun book discussion LOL

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) I totally agree!

:-)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) OMG! I love your avi btw, I love Fassy!!!!

Anyways, sorry I got distracted there for a second :) What were we talking about? :P