Riku Sayuj's Reviews > A World Out of Time

A World Out of Time by Larry Niven

1651956
Jul 18, 12

Read from July 17 to 19, 2012

Too much of Brave New World to start off with and too similar to The Time Machine (with the 'master and slave races' thread) for the rest of the book. It is tough to keep a book together with only one interesting character, especially when it is not the main character, and sticks around for less than a third of the story. All in all, the book had me bored out of my senses waiting for something new to happen.

Maybe it was a mistake to not read Ringworld first. It is going to be hard for me to come back to Niven after this drudge-fest.

And no I did not get enough Future Shock to kill a whole city of Alvin Tofflers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A World Out of Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Horse N. Hmm. I don't see the comparison to Brave New World or The Time Machine at all. I do think there's a lot of similarity to Ringworld, though. I found myself getting bored with Ringworld since I had already read this, but I thought this was full of mind-blowing concepts. It had never occured to me that anyone would think it was even possible to move a whole planet.

message 2: by Riku (last edited May 23, 2014 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Riku Sayuj Horse wrote: "Hmm. I don't see the comparison to Brave New World or The Time Machine at all. I do think there's a lot of similarity to Ringworld, though. I found myself getting bored with Ringworld since I had a..."

As mentioned, the place where he wakes up is a replica of the dystopia of Brave New World and the world he reaches is a replica of the world of Time Machine. What more explanation can I give? I am not saying there are plot similarities (though there might be) but just that the world-building was not imaginative. Moving a planet is not so wild a theme, planets move all the time, including out of their orbits. our solar system has probably witnessed one (and not in mere imagination).

David Sarkies I ended up reading this before The Time Machine and Brave New World, so I guess it was not affected by those previous books as much. I enjoyed it though (and it does have a happy ending).