Beth Ann's Reviews > What to Eat

What to Eat by Marion Nestle

Jul 28, 07

bookshelves: borrowed-from-library
Recommended for: initiates into healthy eating
Read in June, 2007

I must admit I didn't read all of this book. I tried to read all of it, but I gave up.

This book would be good for people who are starting their journey into healthy eating. Nestle basically walks readers through the supermarket aisle-by-aisle detailing her research on what the average consumer can expect to find.

I did learn some ancillary facts about food topics, but I already have read so much about good eating that there wasn't a lot new to me in this book. Plus, I patronize an alternative supermarket (Berkeley Bowl), my local farmers' markets, and a butcher. I am not dependent on chain supermarkets to obtain my food.

I was disappointed by Nestle's wishy-washy stance on food. She is not a food activist. She is a food educator. She mostly offers enough facts to let people make up their own minds about food issues. Her book really isn't a guide on what to eat despite its title.

In a few instances where she actually offered opinions I disagreed. I am a raw, organic milk drinker, and I found her chapter on milk weak. She wrote off raw milk because she never drank any because she couldn't visit any raw milk farms to inspect them personally. Instead she sides with industrial-organic milk.

If you are a foodie and you want to read this book, I would recommend borrowing it from the library like I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What to Eat.