Sath's Reviews > A Dog's Purpose

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

2056399
Oct 24, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, humor, to-review, first-reads
Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

It took me a long time to finally get my firstreads copy of A Dog's Purpose, but I'm glad I made the effort to track it down, because it was well worth it. Not something that I would normally pick up either. But this is one of those novels that is so much more than it appears on the surface. Dare I say - more than you could judge by its cover!

Our protagonist's first life, is as a one of a litter of four feral puppies. (Yes, I did say first life, this will bake more sense later). The dog's small world at first consists of not much more than his mother and his littermates. But not for long, as his mother must teach her puppies to fend for themselves, and all the tricks that wild dogs must know. Such as where to forage, and when and how to hide from humans. Unfortunately the life of a feral dog is fraught with danger, and must end sooner rather than later. But then our dog is born once again.

In his second life, our puppy is taken in by a loving family, and given the name Bailey. And Bailey becomes the beloved companion of his boy, Ethan. In this life Bailey learns more about love and loyalty, and picks up a few tricks aswell.

Bailey is reincarnated several times throughout the novel, each time learning something new about the world, and finding a new purpose for his life. And each time using what he has learnt before.

One of the reasons I loved this book was because it reminded me so much of one of my very favourite tv shows: Quantum Leap. Bailey steps from life to life, striving to find his purpose in each time, and to put right what once went wrong... Yep, its totally Canine Leap. But it was really good. And pulled more than a few tears from me.

Lesson learned: always give a try to books that aren't your usual fare. Its where you find the most suprises.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dog's Purpose.

message 1: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Wonderful review, Sath!

Sath Nancy wrote: "Wonderful review, Sath!"

Thanks Nancy! I see that you've added it, hope you enjoy it :D