Antonia Litsinger's Reviews > The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln

The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln by Stephen L. Carter

F_50x66
Aug 22, 12

Read from July 17 to August 22, 2012

I gave it four stars. I liked the "what if" scenario and indeed did reference history quite a bit, although, as the author himself admits, took quite a bit of liberty with dates, places and some people. The gist of the book was what if Lincoln survived his assassination, returned to office only to go through impeachment proceedings for very real constitutional offenses committed during the Civil War. Turned out to be a pretty good mystery/romance type of novel. The main character, Abigail, was on the trail of a murderer of a prostitute that could very well have held the key to Lincoln's being convicted or acquitted. It did seem a bit drawn out at times and at time some events as described made me roll my eyes, thus the deduction of a star. The impeachment took a back seat to everything else that was going on. Still, a nice whodunit type of book. It did have a very surprising ending and I'll leave it at that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln.