Heather Wiese's Reviews > Love is Fear

Love is Fear by Caroline Hanson

Jan 02, 13

Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

Valerie-Human, but part Empath (supernatural)
Lucas-Hella old Vampire
Jack-Human, vampire hunter
Rachel-Vampire

I just couldn't get on board with this one and it wasn't really the plot, it was the freaking messed up relationships. And I don't mean like "oh, that's sad" or "they should be together but can't" or any of that, I mean the relationships were MESSED UP. As in twisted, damaged, not cool. It made me angry.

Valerie is in love with Lucas (whom she keeps vacillating between lusting after, then thinking he's evil) and Jack (whom she has idolized, I'm not really sure about "loved," since she was very young and has this idealized fantasy about them being together and living happily ever after). She sleeps with them both.

Lucas wants Valerie (but he can't actually FEEL emotion, and it's still unclear whether he CAN love her, or if he just wants to posses her, even if he is very protective of her, he does some shady things).

Jack wants Valerie (why? because she's "good?" because they grew up together?) but has some twisted violent lust thing going on with Rachel, who also wants Jack, but is supposed to be a lesbian. Obviously not.

The rest of the plot line, the Fey, the werewolves, etc. were all interesting, but paled in the face of my sheer frustration with the characters. There was an interesting cliffhanger at the end, but I was so upset with the relationships I really don't know if I want to read the next book. :-/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love is Fear.