Tressa 's Reviews > Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Aug 14, 15

bookshelves: westerns

Lonesome Dove is my favorite book of all time and, when asked, is what I consider to be the greatest American novel ever written. It was so engrossing and the characters so compelling and the adventures so entertaining, that I wanted to read it in one sitting. It's one of those reads that I envy others who have yet to read it.

Gus and Call are two of the most memorable characters in American fiction. They are the yin & yang of cowboys: one caring and comical, the other cold and unemotional.

Blue Duck is one of the most evil characters I can remember reading about. Lorena the whore will win your heart as she grows in self-esteem after she is taken in by Clara and shown that she is worthy of love. So many other great characters that I don't have the time in the day to write about them.

Please read and enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonesome Dove.

message 1: by Tiffany (new) - added it

Tiffany I watched this miniseries years ago and loved it. (Much like many other people I would venture to guess.) But I have never read the book.
I work in a library and recently came across a copy of this monstrously long book! I flipped it over and over in my hands, remembering the film and the characters that affected me. I decided to check out reviews to help me make the choice to read this book or not. I read many many reviews, each raving about how fabulous this great american novel is. Then I came to your review. I must admit, one line sold me completely.

"It's one of those reads that I envy others who have yet to read it."

Thanks for your review. I am so looking forward to reading this book and I am so excited to feel envious of those who have yet to read it!!! Thank You!!

Tressa Hi, Tiffany. I'm being totally honest when I say that I do envy anyone who hasn't read Lonesome Dove. As big as it is, you won't want it to end.

The miniseries is fantastic, but the book is so much more. Someone once asked me what I thought the great American novel was, and without hesitation I said Lonesome Dove. The person was surprised, thinking I was going to say Huckleberry Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird. But to me this is the great American novel and shouldn't be discredited just because it's contemporary. (This person hadn't read Lonesome Dove and doesn't read fiction at all. So what does he know?)

Let me know what you think.

BTW, I work in a library too and see so many great books to read. So many books, so little time!

message 3: by Dylan (new) - added it

Dylan I think I'm going to buy this book the next time I go to Barnes and Noble. I checked it out of the library a while back because my mom said it was a good book, but I didn't want to do it for a project.(That's why we went to the library) Anyway, I never started it, and now I kinda want to.

Tressa Take the plunge, Dylan. You won't regret it. :)

My house can only hold so many bookshelves, but this is one I bought to keep for the sheer joy of re-reading it.

message 5: by Dylan (new) - added it

Dylan O.k. I bought it! I'm going to read it after I finish a few other books I started. :D

Amanda Lyons I saw the miniseries ages ago and have since forgotten the plot but I do remember it being good. I'll have to see if our library has it.

Tressa It's one of my favorite novels. It's a big sucker, but you get so drawn up in each story you'll wish it were twice as big.

Amanda Lyons Tressa wrote: "It's one of my favorite novels. It's a big sucker, but you get so drawn up in each story you'll wish it were twice as big."

As an SK fan I long ago learned that often bigger can be better :D.

Tressa This is true of many things.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* One of my very favorite all time books too. :) just wonderful

Tressa It is a great epic, Shelby. Read it back in the '80s and once or twice more since then. I'll even pick it up and read through some of my favorite passages.

message 12: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Wow, Tressa, your review makes me want to run out and get this book.

message 13: by jennbunny (new) - added it

jennbunny Byrkit Ok I went in search of this book at the used bookstore based on your comments. I found the book and it now sits waiting to be read in 2012.

Amanda Lyons I loved Gus, Clara, Lorena, and Deets. As I was reading I remembered bits and pieces from the miniseries my dad watched when I was younger so that I ended up with a sort of readers' deja vu toward the end especially. WHat happens to Deets is probably one of the saddest bits in the book. Definitely very realistic depiction of cattle men here and great characterization too.

message 15: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Great Saturday night movie too.

message 16: by jennbunny (new) - added it

jennbunny Byrkit I just put this on my 2013 list of must read books.

Tressa Good. Hope you enjoy it. It's a big one, but you won't want it to end once you get into the meat of the story. The characters are unforgettable. When you read it, give it a while and then watch the great miniseries with Tommy Lee Jones and that other great actor whose name I'm always forgetting.

Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder* I have it on my wishlist but your review really makes my want of it skyrocket. Considered that we're friends and I know you from the horror group, this one being your favorite is a bit of a surprise! It does look interesting and I know my parents always loved the tv series. I think I will wait on watching it until I've read the book now to get the most experience out of it.

message 19: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Good review, but your praise of it as the best novel in the English language leads me to believe you haven't read Dickens...

Tressa Jason wrote: "Good review, but your praise of it as the best novel in the English language leads me to believe you haven't read Dickens..."

Yes, I have read Dickens, and with the exception of A Christmas Carol which I listen to, read, or watch every December, I am not a fan. I usually list Lonesome Dove as the "greatest American novel ever written," so maybe that's what I meant to write instead of "best novel in the English language." Thanks, I think I'll change it. :-)