D.w.'s Reviews > Attila

1937017
Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed
Read on July 17, 2012 — I own a copy

There is an adage about when writing your story, start the action as close to the beginning as you can. I started this book months ago and put it down for a very long time. At least until I got an urge to clean out the copies I had for reviewing.

Napier does a disservice to his audience with this book. Some of the writing is good. But this, is just more of a slog than a story.

Some of the history seems off. And further, why do I care about Attila's life as a prisoner of the Romans? Attila is interesting as an adult who challenges and lead his barbarians in conquest.

Here we have conjecture and as such the only interesting writing, the only conflicted individual is the Lucius construct.

We do not see enough of Stilcho who was possibly the last Roman heroic general, or those who can hold their own at that level, the Emperors sister, the Emperor, or the other generals.

Instead we have a young boy whose growth we see to little of, and then the long flight to his own people we see too much of.

A tale which is not an adventure that perhaps we might like if we were young adults, but again something we endure through boredom to get to the other side.

If the rest of the trilogy is like this, better it had been one book to tell this tale. The 390 pages could have been shrunk well below half to tell this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attila.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Lees No need for me to write a review. You have said it all....