Cindy's Reviews > The Bronze Horseman

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

EPIC. PERFECTION.

ETA: Even better the second time. My emotions are fileted in the best way possible. Without a doubt, all 3 books in this series have pushed & shoved others back to make my Top 10 reads ever list. Best of the best.

ETA:: 12-7-13 (2nd Reread) This may become a habit... Still epic. Never stale. Actually maybe a bit more an emotional impact the more times I read it.

I am incapable of truly talking about these books, no matter how many times I read them without babbling and just sounding foolish. If you want to read the type of review I WISH I was capable of writing, go check out the review on Vilma's Book Blog. You can find it here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze Horseman.

Quotes Cindy Liked

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana: "Why did we spend two days fighting when we could have been doing this?"
Alexander: "That wasn't fighting, Tatiana. That was foreplay.”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana: I found my true love on Ulita Saltykov-Schedrin, while I sat on a bench eating ice cream.
Alexander: You didn't find me. You weren't even looking for me. I found you.
Long pause.
Tatiana: Alexander, we're you .... looking for me ?
Alexander: All my life.”

Paullina Simons
“A bus came. The soldier turned away from her and walked toward it. Tatiana watched him. Even his walk was from another world; the step was too sure, the stride too long, yet somehow it all seemed right, looked right, felt right. It was like stumbling on a book you thought you had lost. Ah, yes, there it is.”

Paullina Simons
“Alexander, were you looking for me?"
"All my life.”

Paullina Simons
“Good-bye, my moonsong and my breath, my white nights and golden days, my fresh water and my fire. Good-bye, and may you find a better life, find comfort again and your breathless smile, and when your beloved face lights up once more at the Western sunrise, be sure what I felt for you was not in vain. Good-bye and have faith, my Tatiana.”

Paullina Simons
“Please don't die," she whispered. "I don't think I can bury
you. I already buried everyone else."

"How can I die," Alexander said, his voice breaking, "when you
have poured your immortal blood into me?”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana said. "Go on with Dasha. She is right for you. She is a woman and I'm-" "Blind!", Alexander exclaimed. Tatiana stood, desolately failing in the battle of her heart. "Oh, Alexander. What do you want from me..."
"Everything", he whispered fiercely.”

Paullina Simons
“What was she thinking?” muttered Alexander, closing his eyes and imagining his Tania.
“She was determined. It was like some kind of a personal crusade with her,” Ina said. “She gave the doctor a liter of blood for you—”
“Where did she get it from?”
“Herself, of course.” Ina smiled. “Lucky for you, Major, our Nurse Metanova is a universal donor.”
Of course she is, thought Alexander, keeping his eyes tightly shut.
Ina continued. “The doctor told her she couldn’t give any more, and she said a liter wasn’t enough, and he said, ‘Yes, but you don’t have more to give,’ and she said, ‘I’ll make more,’ and he said, ‘No,’ and she said, ‘Yes,’ and in four hours, she gave him another half-liter of blood.”
Alexander lay on his stomach and listened intently while Ina wrapped fresh gauze on his wound.
He was barely breathing.
“The doctor told her, ‘Tania, you’re wasting your time. Look at his burn. It’s going to get infected.’ There wasn’t enough penicillin to give to you, especially since your blood count was so
low.” Alexander heard Ina chuckle in disbelief. “So I’m making my rounds late that night, and who do I find next to your bed? Tatiana. She’s sitting with a syringe in her arm, hooked up to a
catheter, and I watch her, and I swear to God, you won’t believe it when I tell you, Major, but I see that the catheter is attached to the entry drip in your IV.” Ina’s eyes bulged. “I watch her
draining blood from the radial artery in her arm into your IV. I ran in and said, ‘Are you crazy? Are you out of your mind? You’re siphoning blood from yourself into him?’ She said to me in
her calm, I-won’t-stand-for-any-argument voice, ‘Ina, if I don’t, he will die.’ I yelled at her. I said, ‘There are thirty soldiers in the critical wing who need sutures and bandages and their wounds cleaned. Why don’t you take care of them and let God take care of the dead?’ And she said, ‘He’s not dead. He is still alive, and while he is alive, he is mine.’ Can you believe it, Major? But that’s what she said. ‘Oh, for God’s sake,’ I said to her. ‘Fine, die yourself. I don’t care.’ But the next morning I went to complain to Dr. Sayers that she wasn’t following procedure,
told him what she had done, and he ran to yell at her.” Ina lowered her voice to a sibilant, incredulous whisper. “We found her unconscious on the floor by your bed. She was in a dead faint, but you had taken a turn for the better. All your vital signs were up. And Tatiana got up from the floor, white as death itself, and said to the doctor coldly, ‘Maybe now you can give him the penicillin he needs?’ I could see the doctor was stunned. But he did. Gave you penicillin and more plasma and extra morphine. Then he operated on you, to get bits of the shell fragment out
of you, and saved your kidney. And stitched you. And all that time she never left his side, or yours. He told her your bandages needed to be changed every three hours to help with drainage,
to prevent infection. We had only two nurses in the terminal wing, me and her. I had to take care of all the other patients, while all she did was take care of you. For fifteen days and nights she unwrapped you and cleaned you and changed your dressings. Every three hours. She was a ghost by the end. But you made it. That’s when we moved you to critical care. I said to her, ‘Tania, this man ought to marry you for what you did for him,’ and she said, ‘You think so?’ ” Ina tutted again. Paused. “Are you all right, Major? Why are you crying?”

Paullina Simons
“Not bombs nor my broken heart can take away from me walking barefoot with you in jasmine June through the Field of Mars.”

Paullina Simons
“Soldier! Let me cradle your head and caress your face, let me kiss your dear sweet lips and cry across the seas and whisper through the icy Russian grass how I feel for you . . . Luga, Ladoga, Leningrad, Lazarevo . . . Alexander, once you carried me, and now I carry you. Into my eternity, now I carry you.

Through Finland, through Sweden, to America, hand outstretched, I stand and limp forward, the galloping steed black and riderless in my wake. Your heart, your rifle, they will comfort me, they’ll be my cradle and my grave.

Lazarevo drips you into my soul, dawn drop by moonlight drop from the river Kama. When you look for me, look for me there, because that’s where I will be all the days of my life. (Tatiana)”

Paullina Simons
“Love is,” she repeated slowly, looking only at Dasha, “when he is hungry and you feed him. Love is knowing when he is hungry”

Paullina Simons
“I want you to know that should something happen to me, don’t worry about my body. My soul isn’t going to return to it, nor to God. It’s flying straight to you, where it knows it can find you, in Lazarevo. I want to be neither with kings nor heroes, but with the queen of Lake Ilmen.”

Paullina Simons
“I'm not hungry," Alexander whispered. "I'm famished. Watch out for me. Now, don't make a single sound," he said, moving on top of her. "Tania, God....I'll cover your mouth, just like this, and you hold on to me, just like this, and I'm going to-just like this-”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana...you and I had only one moment..." said Alexander. "A single moment in time, in your time and mine...one instant, when another life could have still been possible." He kissed her lips. "Do you know what I'm talking about?"
When Tatiana looked up from her ice cream, she saw a soldier staring at her from across the street.
"I know that moment," whispered Tatiana.”

Paullina Simons
“Oh,to be walking through Leningrad white night after white night, the dawn to dusk all smelting together like platinum ore, Tatiana thought, turning away to the wall, again to the wall, the wall, as ever. Alexander, my nights, my days, my every thought. You will fall away from me in just a while, won't you, and I'll be whole again, and I will go on and feel for someone else, the way everyone does.
But my innocence is forever gone.”

Paullina Simons
“Shura...are you...in love with me?"
"Turn to me," Alexander said. She turned. "Tatia, I worship you. I'm crazy in love with you. I want you to marry me.”

Paullina Simons
“We've had a minute, Tatiana thought. We had our minutes on the bus. And at Kirov. We had our minutes in Lugo. And in the Summer Garden. Breathless minutes, we had. What we want, she thought, keeping herself from welling up, is eternity.”

05/25/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/25/2013
10.0% "About an hour ago I just skipped to like 55% and I'm not sure I want to skip back. Half a book of him being with her sister & them lying & suffering threw famine & war? Eh."
05/26/2013
12.0% "I went back. Spoiling myself helped me get to the right level of commitment."
05/27/2013
83.0% "I am BEYOND invested now."
05/27/2013
97.0% "Tatiana is magnificent."
05/27/2013 marked as: read
06/10/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/10/2013
42.0% "I said I was going to read this series again back to back & I am. And it's even better the 2nd time."
06/11/2013
54.0% "I am SO READY for Lazarevo."
06/14/2013
59.0% "So they are in Lazervo washing dishes together and MERCY!!!

I am savoring everything this time around." 3 comments
06/15/2013
64.0% "Been marathoning Supernatural all day with my husband. Now he's asleep & I am with Shura & Tania in a tent on the banks of the Kama AND EVERYTHING IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD!!!"
06/25/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jacqueline's Reads this one is crazy. Enjoy!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Viteri I guess I should puck this up and read this asap, huh?

Cindy Jessica wrote: "I guess I should puck this up and read this asap, huh?"

I'd say this is a "wait until you are settled back and NY and just want to book veg for a weekend to decompress" book. But yeah, you have to read it.

Duchess Nicole Nuff said ;P

Stacia (the 2010 club) Completely agree.

Smitten's Book Blog Ah, makes my heart ache. Love love love this book sooo much!