Kat's Reviews > Touch the Dark

Touch the Dark by Karen Chance

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, urban-fantasy
Read in July, 2012

Basic Plot: Cassie Palmer has visions, can talk to ghosts, and is trying to avoid the vampires who want to control her and her destiny.

For a book that I just kid of grabbed off the library shelf (a VERY hit-or-miss method of finding reading material), I really enjoyed this one. There was good pacing and plenty of action. I found it hard to put down and read it within 24 hours. The characters were interesting and Cassie wasn't just some twit lamenting over her love life (YAY!). She wasn't perfect, but who is? The plot actually had some complexity, and in order to fully get it, I had to pay attention, which made me tremendously happy. There were a few Inception-esque moments where things changed, so you had to be on your toes as a reader to catch the moments.

This is clearly the beginning of a series, with Chance introducing her versions of vampires, weres, fey, mages, etc. This book mostly focused on Cassie (who is technically none of the above) and her relations with the vampires, but I can see easily that the series will branch off into the other areas, which I look forward to.

There were some VERY steamy scenes in this one, but the overall plot always took precedence over the romantical parts, which had me practically giddy. The romantical bits led me to the only uncomfortable bits of the book for me, though, as the vampire she gets involved with has known her since she was only 11. Now, TO BE FAIR- he wasn't interested in her as an 11 year-old, so the creeper vibe was largely just me. She apparently had a crush on him since she was 11, which I kind of get, having once been 11 myself and having once had an unhealthy obsession with the New Kids on the Block. Not my finest period of life, but most of us have at least one crush of shame. Long story short, I was a bit creeped out when they got frisky, but at least it wasn't insta-love.

There were some good twists and turns in the plot. There were also some interesting character choices made, including the number of celebrity vamps in the book (by which I refer to famous historical persons who are vampires in the book). Overall, the book was a pleasant surprise for a random grab, and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch the Dark.