CS's Reviews > About Last Night

About Last Night by Ruthie Knox

Jul 17, 12

Read in July, 2012

I adored this book.

I haven't read category romance since, gee, probably tenth or eleventh grade (category romances were part of my allowance growing up. I was allowed to choose one category book from the grocery store rack per week. Thanks Mom!)

But in my never-ending quest to figure out what makes a romance novel move past the merely good stage to GREAT, I've turned to this year's list of RITA nominees.

This book caught my eye immediately. It combines two of my absolute favorite things: hand knitting and American expats in London. (And Ruthie Knox needs to join Ravelry, if she isn't already on there hidden under an pseudonym.)

This book would have won my heart just for the way it perfectly captured the love-hate relationship American expats can have with the UK. Cath's very American reaction to the lack of clothes dryers, the weather, the crowds on the trains - absolutely pitch perfect. For that alone, the book earned five stars.

But the book is more than a love letter to hand knitting and an encapsulation of the expat experience. It's also a very charming, very sexy, and very emotional romance, with characters for whom you root and ache. It's a fairy tale, like all good romances, but a splendidly entertaining one.

Absolutely recommended. And I'll be pulling for Ruthie Knox at the RITAs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About Last Night.