Connie's Reviews > The Company You Keep

The Company You Keep by Neil Gordon

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: war-novels
I own a copy

Two story devices work well in this that often fail: multiple narrators and modified epistolary novel format; the narrative is built by a very long email chain (in detail that could not possible exist in that format, but it’s so engagingly written that you can suspend your disbelief).

It’s a message to the millennial generation and a reminder to all of American 20th century social and political history; It also wants to echo current events. It’s a mystery, love stories, and both a novel of ideas and of individuals and a nation coming of age. It begins very left leaning but becomes more balanced. Mostly it’s about how we construct history, both personal and political. Failed idealism drives the story, but light and hope are never totally absent figuratively or literally.

Although the third quarter of the book becomes a bit wordy and repetitive (we get it by then!), it still seems to me the one of the most satisfying novels I've read in quite a while. I hope that Redford accomplishes with this material in the upcoming film version what he almost accomplished with Lions for Lambs. The personal is political, and vice versa.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Company You Keep.