Sophie's Reviews > The Elite

The Elite by Kiera Cass

This is what the first book did:

Photobucket

I don't know how Cass is going to stretch this into a trilogy. I honestly don't. Unless this has another beautiful cover I can't resist, I'm going to avoid this book like the plague.

Update 7/23
So... I finished this book. It was just as awful as the first, if not worse. It's worse in that it tries to develop a love triangle and makes a bad name for women everywhere. America decides to love whichever guy is in the room and then forget him the moment he leaves it. The book attempts to explain what happened and to contribute to the whole dystopian aspect, but the explanation is extremely weak, given through the ever-cliche diary from a really old dead guy who happens to be very important. I can't say that men are given a very good image either, though. Maxon talks about how much he loves America while consorting with other women and trying to make himself "feel good," which is literally how he justifies it. And of course, we see how he has a troubled past brought on by a violent upbringing.

I didn't find any part of this book enjoyable, but I want to finish this series and find out what the hell actually happens. None of the characters have struck me as anything but fickle and one-dimensional, with the exception of Aspen. He remains constant, though in a very shallow manner. It's not about how the author has been horrible, anymore. This book is bad. Exceptionally bad. If I haven't ever questioned how the publishing industry works, I am certainly questioning it now. The writing style is stilted and sounds as if it's catering to elementary schoolers. The plot is not developed in the least, and the characters have all been built to fit some sort of mold, but they can't even seem to accomplish that. All in all, this series lacks class and cohesiveness, attempting to throw out twists that absolutely contribute nothing. Originally I started reading this to get over the pain that Siege and Storm had instilled in me, but now it's just created this little pit of disgust in my stomach. Bleeech.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elite.

07/04/2013 marked as: currently-reading
07/04/2013 "Hehehehe. After the angst that was The Sea of Tranquility, this should be a riot."
07/06/2013
10.0% "Darling? The word, so tender and personal, enveloped me. In that moment, any desire I had to fight my feelings for Maxon disappeared. I wanted to be his dear, his darling. I wanted to be Maxon’s alone.

10 seconds later...

In Aspen’s eyes I saw a thousand different endings to that sentence, all of them connecting him to me...That a few months at the palace couldn’t erase two years.

WTF!?!?!"
07/16/2013
40.0% "America seems to have gotten even worse...

...No, she was always this bad."
07/23/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books America decides to love whichever boy is in the room and then forget him as soon as he leaves.

^^^This so much this^^^

Have you seen this video?

It sums up book 1 perfectly.

Sophie Definitely reminds us of how redundant and simplistic the book is -_-

Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books True dat.

I just like the bits where she is like "My heart is broken" sure it is lady.

Jubillee Pagsuyuin Very well said... This is how I felt. This is a poorly written book.

message 5: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria this book is anything but amazing its descriptive creative and one of my faves

Kathryn Shiverdecker I totally agree with your statement about how she's stretching this book into a trilogy. it could have been done at two and actually would have perfected that.

Kathryn Shiverdecker prefered*

message 8: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Chen bad name for women. I totally agree!

message 9: by Em (new) - rated it 2 stars

Em lol. I totally agree ;)

message 10: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily I need to read this! I actually really liked the first one but this one sounds so bad... Can't wait.

message 11: by Rainbow Moonstone (last edited Jun 01, 2014 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rainbow Moonstone "America decides to love whichever guy is in the room and then forget him the moment he leaves it."

Hahahaha that's the best line ever XD

"It's not about how the author has been horrible, anymore. This book is bad. Exceptionally bad. If I haven't ever questioned how the publishing industry works, I am certainly questioning it now."

I 100% agree! :( Personally, I think its become clear that the author's unproffesional behaviour in the past is also reflected in the quality of the story.