LJ's Reviews > The Keepsake

The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen

Dec 04, 08

bookshelves: boston, contemporary_post_1945, female_author, mystery, massachusetts, police_procedural
Read in October, 2008

THE KEEPSAKE (aka Keeping the Dead) (Pol. Proc-Rizzoli/Iles-Boston, US-Cont) - VG
Gerritsen, Tess – 7th in series
Ballantine Press, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780345497628

First Sentence: He is coming for me.

A 2000-year-old mummy has been discovered in the basement of the Crespin Museum in Boston. With much fanfare and publicity, it has been brought to Pilgrim Hospital for CT scan analysis. Dr. Maura Isles, on of those in attendance, soon realizes something is amiss. The corpse within has a modern dental filling and a bullet in her leg. The mummy is transferred to the morgue and the case assigned to Det. Jane Rizzoli. When a second, then third corpse that has been transformed into the appearance of an ancient artifact the police realize something is out of sync with archeologist Joesphine Pulcillo, working at the museum and the focus of the artifacts.

There is a blurb on the back cover of the book which says “…likely to keep you reading into the wee hours…” Well, it certainly did that. I should know by now that a book by Gerritsen is one I have to finish the same day I start it. She know how to hook you in, take you down a very twisty road, build the suspense and keep you going to the very last sentence. Gerritsen’s medical background was in evidence through the details of ancient forms of mummification offset by present-day forensic methods. I also enjoyed the historical and archeological information, both of those being fascinating to me.

The characters are interesting and fully developed. Jane Rizzola is a tough New Yorker, married and a mother; Maura Iles is refined, elegant and in a hopeless relationship. A common theme among the characters was self-delusion--wanting what you can’t have. This theme was well-played in the story with a subtlety that offset the violence. Her dialogue and sense of place supported this theme. Gerritsen is a very good writer and always a sleepless pleasure to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Keepsake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam LJ,I don't think this is the right review for this book, or you read a TOTALLY different version than I did. LOL.

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

LJ Oops - Thank you so much for catching this. That's what happens when you're doing too much, too quickly.

I think I'll move this review to the proper book.

I do appreciate you letting me know.

LJ