Jamie Martin's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

M_50x66
Jul 17, 12

It begins big and mysterious. Then the story settles in for the long haul. You can tell after 2 chapters that this is going to be a 5 book series minimum (i've read that Sanderson plans for it to be a 10 book series). Sanderson creates a world vastly different from our own and, even with the first book finished, we have only scratched the surface.

With those two elements combined you would assume that the story would feel dragged out and grow tedious after a while. But i found his constant shifting in perspective between the different characters, along with the interludes giving you glimpses at what is happening in the world outside, always kept it riveting. Just as you were growing tired of the characters slow development, the perspective would switch and a whole new light would shine on what just happened. At the end of the book we are left with more questions then when we read the prologue, and about a hundred expectations of what is to come.

Which truths will be revealed? Will the inevitable fights come soon or late? Or will they be avoided somehow. Who is really the bad guy? Who is really the good guy? And above all what role will each character ultimately play in the saving of the world?

Though it is one of the longest books i've ever read i was hard pressed to put it down. I highly anticipate the next book and from his previous works i don't think i'll be disappointed.

I have never liked Sanderson taking over The Wheel of Time series. He has everyone doing hand gestures in order to channel (despite it clearly having been said that doing so is unique to each faction and totally unnecessary). There are a few other minor things like that that pile up to become very irritating.

Why bring this up? Because in The Ways of Kings Sanderson showed why he deserved to be chosen to complete that epic series. If Sanderson had taken over at book 6 instead of book 13 i think my opinion of his version would be a whole lot better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.