David's Reviews > Wonderful Tonight

Wonderful Tonight by Pattie Boyd

M 50x66
Nov 06, 2008

it was ok

Boring book, even to someone like me who enjoys celebrity gossip quite a bit. I guess having the derivative fame of having been married to George Harrison and Eric Clapton is not as interesting as actually being them.

As other reviewers have noted, the writing is awful. Reads as if it were dictated by someone who was frequently distracted, and then no editing took place.

In a sea of "so we went out with [insert name of musician] and got drunk/took drugs/stayed up all night" anecdotes, a couple that seemed striking to me were the ways in which the famous rockers proposed to her:

George Harrison said he'd have to check with the Beatles' manager to find out if it was ok. Eric Clapton had someone else call her with the proposal and pressure her for a quick answer because while intoxicated the night before he had bet the other guy a lot of money that he couldn't get Clapton's name in the paper the next morning. The guy called a gossip columnist and said "Eric Clapton will be marrying Pattie Boyd" on date x and place y a few days later, which did the trick on getting in the paper but left Clapton needing to make good on it quickly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonderful Tonight.